Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Because It's The Cup: Semi-Final Results and Conference Final Predictions

As the Stanley Cup Playoffs march on, the field continues to narrow and competition keeps heating up -- and I'm still proving that predicting winners is part science, part art and part voodoo, and in some cases I don't have any of those things working for me. I did OK in the first round and split the semi-final round right down the middle in both conferences.


Here's what happened in the Conference Semi-Finals.

******************************************************

Eastern Conference

NY Rangers vs Washington Capitals - RIGHT
My pick - Rangers in 7
What happened - Rangers in 7
The boyfriend rejoiced in being on the winning side of the match-up. I rejoiced in finally picking one series EXACTLY RIGHT. At the rate I'm going, it will be the only one. Thanks for helping a girl out, Rangers!


Philadelphia Flyers vs New Jersey Devils - WRONG
My pick -- Flyers in 6
What Happened - Devils in 5
The Flyers quite simply lost every bit of scoring mojo they showed off in the Pittsburgh series and got beat by a defensively more balanced team. They're also now saddled with a lengthy and enormous contract for a goaltender that continues to prove he's not a playoff goalie -- even if he is funny as hell. So much for the possibility of a Philly East meets Philly West Stanley Cup Final (that's a little Kings insider joke).

Western Conference


Los Angeles Kings vs St. Louis Blues - RIGHT
My pick -- Kings in 7
What happened - Kings in 4
I was right when I wrote this: "The Kings need to strike early with a win on the road because St. Louis won't go down easy." I was wrong when I said "It will be a long and physical series..." My boys are quite simply ON FIRE. Their success defies explanation and I'm totally OK with it. After many seasons of suffering, winning is FUN!

Phoenix Coyotes vs Nashville Predators - WRONG
My pick -- Predators in 6
What happened - Coyotes in 5
I don't think anyone who follows hockey saw this one coming, which is pretty much how things go with the Coyotes. The NHL's perpetual underdog shocked everyone by unseating a better team through sheer force of will. The Predators had more talent at every position, but the Coyotes were willing to grind it out. At this time of the year, sometimes grit wins.

******************************************************

So now the field is down to four teams and conference titles are at stake. More importantly, all four of these teams have a legitimate shot to win the big prize (although it pains me to say that in the Devils case) -- The Stanley Cup! 

Here's what I think will happen next.

Eastern Conference

NY Rangers vs New Jersey Devils
My pick - Rangers in 7
The Rangers fan base has waited a long time for their next legitimate shot at The Cup since their first win in 1994. Goalie Henrik Lundqvist has never looked better and the Rangers, when they keep their focus, handle themselves well in both ends of the ice. More importantly, I can't in good conscience root for the Devils to win anything. If you've ever been to Newark, NJ you understand my feelings.

Western Conference

Los Angeles Kings vs Phoenix Coyotes
My pick -- Kings in 7
Everything is coming together exactly at the right time for the Kings. It's fate, it's destiny - it's the season goalie Jonathan Quick deserves after saving his teammates hindquarters for most of the regular season. The boyfriend and I are against each other on this one, but we might as well get used to it. If I have my way. our teams will play each other for the biggest prize in sports. Bring it on!


Playoff hockey rules -- Because It's The Cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment