Saturday, April 28, 2012

Because It's The Cup: Quarter Final Picks

As the second round of Stanley Cup playoff action kicks into gear, I decided to change my philosophy in choosing the winner for each series. Forget the stats, forget what's happened so far -- every series is a new one and this time I'm going with my heart. Whether they win or lose, I actually LIKE all the teams I've picked to win. Plus I've resigned myself to losing the bet with my friend based on my first round performance, so I'm picking with zero pressure right now.

I'm praying for good things too, Mike Richards. I believe the Hockey Gods are listening.


Here's what I've got.

******************************************************

Eastern Conference

NY Rangers vs Washington Capitals
My pick - Rangers in 7
Both these teams had a tough battle in round one and this series will go down to the wire as well. The Caps have been tough for the Rangers to beat during the regular season, but this is a whole new series after all. The Rangers need to get star scoring forward Marian Gaborik going offensively and follow Coach John Tortorella's first rule -- "You don't block pucks, you don't play."

Philadelphia Flyers vs New Jersey Devils
My pick -- Flyers in 6
It's a good thing the Flyers proved they can play defensive hockey towards the end of their first round series because there won't be any 8 to 10 goal games in this match-up. The Devils strengths are defense and goal tending, but the Flyers still have enough offensive prowess to get the job done.


Western Conference


Los Angeles Kings vs St. Louis Blues
My pick -- Kings in 7
These teams are so evenly matched and defensively focused it may be hard for anyone to score. But the Kings have more top end offensive talent and an edge in goal thanks to the continued stellar play of goalie Jonathan Quick. The Kings need to strike early with a win on the road because St. Louis won't go down easy. It will be a long and physical series, but I honestly believe the Kings have it in them.

Phoenix Coyotes vs Nashville Predators
My pick -- Predators in 6
Every game but one in the Coyotes first round series went to overtime, so this will be a longer contest than the Preds had in the first round. At the end of the day, Nashville has more depth of talent and even if Phoenix goalie Mike Smith continues to stand on his head, it won't be enough to get the job done.

******************************************************

No matter what happens in the this round, it's going to be fun watching. Let's hope my heart survives what I'm sure will be some very emotional games.

Playoff hockey rules -- Because It's The Cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment