Monday, April 9, 2012

Why "To Do" Doesn't Always Lead To "Done"

I'm a little obsessed about being organized, so to do lists are a mainstay of my life. I love them so much that when I got an iPhone, I immediately looked for a to-do list app. I even tried out several different kinds until I found the right one.

I spent hours creating categories, tags and schedules for all my to do list items. I have certain tasks (like paying bills) repeat weekly, bi-weekly or monthly depending on the bill in question. I having rolling shopping lists that I add to when I'm out of an item so I can remember to pick it up the next time I'm at the store. I have more strategic planning items repeat on a quarterly basis so I can take stock of where I am with my "big picture" life plans. The whole creation is flawlessly organized, color coded and  conveniently with me every time my phone is in my hand. All of which made my epiphany this weekend even more shocking.

I am an expert at making to do lists, so why can't I get more done? 

"To Do" is only planning. Actually "doing" requires execution.
Putting something on a to do list only signifies your intent to complete a task. When the time comes to actually do it, other things can dampen your original enthusiasm.
  • Is it something you're dreading or avoiding? For me doing my taxes is one of the things that falls in this bucket. It's been on my to do list for a month now. 
  • Are you afraid you won't be able to finish the task? I run into this thought all the time when I'm blogging. I'll get started on a post and then my ideas stop flowing, or I get distracted by something else. If I had a dollar for every unfinished draft of a blog post I've started, I could be drinking a REALLY nice bottle of wine right now.
  • Are there other reasons you're unmotivated? Had a tough day at work and don't feel like doing anything but sitting in front of the TV eating ice cream all evening? Been there, done that.

The list can become demotivating.
When I get up in the morning, picking up my phone is practically the first thing I do. One of the first things I see is that little red circle on my to do app with a number signifying the tasks I have waiting for me.


At times, my desire to crawl back into bed and hide from the world is directly proportionate to that number, because it not only represents things I need to do today but things that DIDN'T get completed as scheduled. The list that is supposed to keep me on track starts to feel a ten thousand pound weight on my shoulders. The focus then shifts from getting back on track to obsessing over being behind.

To do lists are good at handling individual pieces, but they can't assemble the whole puzzle.
It's kind of ironic that I have a quarterly to do list item to check on the status of my "life plan" since I don't have "the plan" yet. It's even funnier because the task I set to CREATE the plan is still sitting on my to do list -- with a due date back in January where I initially scheduled it. I've got groceries and my bills are paid on time, but I'm still not sure where my life is headed -- just haven't found time to get to that part yet. And that is possibly the biggest lesson I've learned about to do lists -- they are tactical tools, NOT strategic plans.

Now that I've come to terms with the fact that I need more than my to do list to help me navigate successfully to the life I want, I just need to figure out the best plan to get where I want to go. Anyone know if they have an app for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment