Friday, July 8, 2011

Seaside Treasures

When I was a little girl spending summers at the beach, I loved wandering the coastline searching for seashells. I had boxes and jars full of them my collected treasures. And every so often I'd be lucky enough to find a piece of beach glass peeking out of the sand.


Beach glass comes from pieces of broken bottles that become worn down by the waves. Most of the time it's green, light blue or clear. Occasionally I remember finding a bright blue one, which was always exciting. When I was in high school, I even recall walking on the beach with one of my boyfriends, who found a lovely piece of beach glass and gave it to me. I think I still have it somewhere...

So when I was driving around at home and saw a roadside banner advertising the Lewes Historical Society Sea Glass Festival, I knew I had to pop over and check it out. Who knew there was so much beach glass in the world?


They even had a shard identification room run by the Sussex Bottle Club, so if you had a piece of your own glass or an old bottle you found on the beach they could help figure out how old it was, where it came from, etc.


Most of the artisans there had beach glass jewelry, but there were some other interesting things as well. I especially liked the framed photos with designs made out of beach glass. That might have to be a future craft project to try some day!


Visiting the festival also gave me a chance to walk around downtown Lewes, DE.  Lewes was the first European settlement in the state of Delaware, and therefore the first city in the first state to ratify the US Constitution (that's your little Delaware history lesson for the day).  It's a beautiful little town with gorgeous Victorian style homes, so I had a little fun walking around and looking for my future beach house by the sea. I dream big!



And no stop in Lewes is complete without a visit to King's Ice Cream! On a day with temperatures close to 90 degrees, a little homemade mint chocolate chip really hit the spot!



I had to eat fast - it was melting on me!

Lewes is one of my favorite summer spots to visit. What's your favorite summer place?

No comments:

Post a Comment