Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moving On: Nice to Have or Need to Have?

It's hard to believe that one year ago this week, I embarked on an exciting journey and moved into new digs in downtown Los Angeles. As I was waiting in the rental office to sign the lease to renew my stay for another year, I had a chance to reflect on what I've learned in the past year by seeing life from a different vantage point.

The biggest challenge the move presented was space -- at barely 600 square feet, this is the smallest place I've ever occupied on my own, with the exception of a college dorm room. When I was home at Christmas, we had a family dinner and my sister and brother-in-law were talking about their visit with me in July. Liz and Dave were commenting how much they would love to move to California if they could afford it. I explained that’s why I live in a 600 square foot studio. I looked at my cousin just as her mouth dropped open and she sat in shock for a minute, then commented that her closet was bigger than my entire apartment.

In fairness, she probably needs the space. She loves antiques, collects Elvis memorabilia, and decorates every surface of her home every Christmas. These things make her happy. The thing I've discovered living in less space is that I don't need all that to be happy. As long as my closet has enough space for my hockey jerseys, I'm cool.

It's similar to a content editing strategy I use when developing training. I always ask myself, is this piece of information "nice to know" or "need to know?" Applied to physical possessions, the concept becomes "nice to have" or "need to have." Based on what I've learned in the past year, the list of truly "need to have" items in my life is pretty small, and 600 square feet of space is more than enough to accommodate them. Although I do manage to have a little space for a few of my favorite "nice to have" things...


My hockey corner

Things aside, what I've ultimately discovered is that I get the greatest satisfaction in my life from my relationships and the experiences they bring me. I crave time more than space, and having less space actually gives me more time. Because while my friends with homes are cleaning, maintaining and caring for their spaces and stuff, I'm free to go explore outside the box I live in every day, including nurturing those relationships that bring me happiness.

After all, the only place any of us really need space is in our hearts. That's where all the best "need to have" things should be stored...forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment