Wednesday, May 5, 2010

In Training: Cinco de Mayo!

So my calendar reminded me it's time for another "In Training" status report, and unlike last time, we have good news. The pesky pounds that crept back on are now gone again, and health-wise life is starting to return to normal. I even managed to get back out on the tennis court with Nadine for the first time since last October, and discovered I still have a little game in me. I have to admit, it felt really great to run around chasing some new yellow fuzzy balls!

I still have a way to go to meet my goal, but I'm feeling more energized about it than I have in months. Motivation is a wonderful thing!

Since there isn't much interesting to report on the exercise front, I figured I'd use the fact that my co-workers and I celebrated Cinco de Mayo with a fun dinner as a great excuse to talk about food! It also gave me an excuse to engage in a fun habit I share with my co-worker Cindy Hyon -- photographing food! Because when it looks this good, why wouldn't you take a picture?



My healthy restaurant choice this evening was seared Ahi tuna and asparagus with Chinese black bean sauce. So why is tuna healthy? According to Elements4Health, "Tuna is an excellent source of protein, and while some vitamin and mineral losses occur during canned tuna processing, the protein nutritive values are not dramatically changed. Tuna is an excellent source of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, protein, potassium, selenium, and vitamin B12. It's a very good source of niacin and phosphorus."

All these things mean a diet including tuna can help reduce your risk of stroke, high blood pressure and coronary heart disease. Big win, AND extremely tasty when barely seared on each side and served rare like my dish.

Of course, my celebratory cocktails offset the health benefits of the tuna just a bit, but a girl has to live, right?



Happy Cinco de Mayo! Be festive, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment