Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Great Closet Reorg

One of my guilty pleasures in life is reorganizing things. Constantly. When I'm feeling stressed, I find a messy drawer, dump the entire contents, throw stuff out, fold or place what I kept in neat order, and instantly I feel better. As my friend Tanya might say, "Sounds like a business idea..." Maybe one day I'll find the energy to market myself as an organizational expert. Until then, I enjoy making my friends my only happy customers.

When Michelle moved to New York, she condensed a three bedroom, three bath townhouse with a garage into a one bedroom, one bath apartment with no garage. So when she asked me if I could help he attack her closet on my recent trip, I couldn't have been more excited. After all, we've been doing this together since college. And I've always envied her clothes! I remember a specific pair of black wrap-around stretch pants that tied in the front that I borrowed (or stole) from her on every occasion possible. Her dad's white Polo button down....snagged! I could go on and on. For someone who dislikes shopping in general, she has great taste, but hates to throw anything out. The result...a closet so packed she can't find all the great stuff she has!!!

You see what I mean....


So we spent hours pulling absolutely everything out of the closet, trying it all on, and throwing out the "doesn't fit" or "out of style stuff." And we pitched a lot....this entire pile went to Goodwill.


I don't have an explanation for this one, other than to say this is the kind of thing that happens when you shop unchaperoned. But let's face it, we all have one of these somewhere in our closet. I'm just not as brave as Michelle, so I won't show you mine. Let's just say I went through my closet as soon as I got home and pitched it.... OK, so it was 5 things! You get the idea...


Now Michelle has a closet fashionistas would envy, and she'll be the best dressed woman in Manhattan now that she can find her awesome clothes! And I found more great stuff to borrow (...steal) from her next time!



And I have my future business' first happy customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment