Monday, April 27, 2009

Dave Barnes @ Hotel Cafe

Ever since I met Dave Barnes (http://www.davebarnes.com/) on the first Mayercraft in last year, I've been a huge fan of Dave and his music. He's based in Nashville, and unfortunately doesn't get to the West Coast as often as I'd like, so anytime he comes to LA I jump at the chance to see him. Tonight I caught the first of two shows at The Hotel Cafe in Hollywood.



Dave is a very funny guy, and his little between song chats are great comedic stand-up on their own ("Lately when I'm singing, I've been spitting on the audience a little, just accidentally, so you people in the front row might want to take cover..."). The fact that he's a great songwriter and talented musician is the icing on the cake.



He's also a fan of audience participation, so there is always at least one sing-along moment at every show. The audience joined in singing the bridge lyric of my absolute favorite song, "When a Heart Breaks" ("Please don't leave me here...."). Then the chorus on "Everybody But You" ("Everybody knows but you..."), one of my favorite Barnes party rockers. And he closed out the night with a fully unplugged campfire-style singalong of "Until You" standing in the center of the audience. Everyone was standing together, singing together in the most beautiful harmonies, I got a little choked up.

But the thing I think makes Dave so popular is how accessible he is. After shows, most of the time artists hang out near the bar, hoping not to get noticed and bothered, but act polite when someone approaches them. Dave parked himself right near the exit so fans could take photos and talk. And then I mean talk, I mean you really have a conversation with Dave. He's one of those rare people who shakes your hand, looks you straight in the eye and doesn't just say "Thank you" and move on. He asks where you drove in from, other artists you like, etc.

I was waiting patiently to talk to him, and lots of people were taking photos. As a fellow photo hog, I was more than happy to be the camera operator for several people. That meant other people kept handing me cameras, so I kept talking pictures, and at one point Dave leaned over and grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "Don't go anywhere...you're next."

After the photo hounds had cleared out, we had a great little talk. His regular bass player, Matt Magano was missing, so I asked about him and found out he's on tour with Marc Broussard (http://www.marcbroussard.com/), one of my favorite soul singers. Dave also told me he's done some songwriting with Marc, and shares my love of his voice. And of course I asked about a new album, and Dave confirmed he has one coming out this summer, with a tour hopefully this fall. I can't wait! And at the end of our little chat, I got a big hug! What a sweetheart!

And I would be remiss in talking about Dave if I didn't mention the Mocha Club, his non-profit organization dedicated to improving living conditions in Africa. His latest project is building wells in two communities in Sudan. He just gives and gives...how can you not love this guy! Here's a link to the Mocha Club if you want to learn more.

https://www.mochaclub.org/mochaclub/sponsor/davebarnes/7

And speaking of giving back, I sat with the nicest people from Toms Shoes at the show last night! They were bringing Dave some samples since he's one of their supporters. Toms sells canvas and vegan footwear, and their mission is to give away a pair of shoes to a child in need for every pair of shoes they sell. As a shoe addict, that's a cause I can easily support! Here's a link to the Tom website. And thanks for a great night, girls!

http://cdn2.tomsshoes.com/default18.htm

And I wouldn't be a good live music supporter if I didn't mention Dave's opening act, the wonderful Andrew Ripp (http://www.myspace.com/andrewripp) . HUGE soulful voice, great melodies, great guitar. Be sure to check him out!



Other cool musician sightings are always a possibility at the Hotel Cafe, and last night I saw David La Bruyere (http://www.myspace.com/davidlabruyere), John Mayer's old bass player, who was subbing in for Matt Magano. And Michael Chavez, John's old guitar player, also stopped by to hi to Dela! Does it get any better than this?

Thanks for an amazing night Dave! Let's do it again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Were you sitting at the center table in the front? If so, me and my group were sitting right behind you!

    As you've already expressed it was an AMAZING show, and I can't wait until DB comes back to the L.A. area!

    ReplyDelete