Thursday, December 24, 2009

Flat Stanley Hits the Road Again!

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited to be writing to you again because Meg and I are on another trip! That's right, we left Los Angeles today and took another airplane ride. Where were we headed? This time, we're going to a state called Delaware, which is where Meg grew up. We're going to visit her family for Christmas, and I can't wait to meet them! But boy, did we have a long journey getting there!

First of all, we were supposed to leave on Saturday, but there was a REALLY HUGE snowstorm back on the East Coast where Delaware is. They closed the airport we were supposed to fly into, so we got stuck in Los Angeles for several extra days. But Meg said that was OK, because it would be safer to travel after the roads were cleared off. We even went on the computer and saw pictures of Mary and her brothers standing in the snow in Rhode Island, getting their picture taken wearing bathing suits! I thought those were just for summer weather, but I could be wrong. I will have to remember to ask Mary about that when I'm back in Rhode Island.

We left for the airport at 8:30 this morning, even though our flight didn't leave until 1 PM. Meg said the lines would be very long because a lot of people would be going home to their families for the holidays too, so we had to have a lot of patience. Boy, was she right! We waited a long time just to give the airline people our suitcase, then we had to do that security thing and that was ANOTHER long line. Altogether it took about an hour. Meg said it was better to be safe and get there early than have to rush and forget something. Seems like she was right.

When we got to the airport, I was a little confused because the signs all said "Alaska."



I thought we were going to Delaware, and I don't think Alaska is on the East Coast! Were we in the wrong place? No, Meg explained. Alaska was the name of the airline that was taking us to Delaware, and when they started their business they mostly flew people to Alaska, but now they're much bigger and they go lots of other places. I still don't completely understand that, but I've learned that Meg knows what she's doing when it comes to traveling.

Even though the weather was supposed to be very bad when we landed, the sky on the way to Delaware sure was pretty.



When we finally arrived in Washington, DC it was already dark, and we had almost 3 more hours to drive until we finally got to Meg's Mommy's house in Lewes, DE. Meg wanted to get on the road as fast as possible so we didn't take any pictures at the airport, but that was OK with me. I've seen plenty of airports with her, and they pretty much look the same.

We did stop on the drive there in a town called Bridgeville, DE. They make something called "scrapple" in Bridgeville, and Meg laughed when she saw the Rapa Scrapple sign, so she just had to stop.



I asked her what scrapple is, and she said it's sort of like a meatloaf that you eat for breakfast. But Meg says she doesn't eat it, and when I asked why, all she said was that I really didn't want to know what was in scrapple because it's not very appealing. I think I'll take her word for it.

By the time we finally got to Lewes, it was past midnight...that means it's already Christmas Eve! I can't wait to see what Christmas in Delaware is like! Hopefully the weather doesn't keep Santa away...

No comments:

Post a Comment