Thursday, December 10, 2009

Eight Rounds...and a Knockout!

My Kings have been playing some great hockey lately (except on Saturday afternoons), but nonetheless I felt a twinge of anxiety in the pit of my stomach on the walk to Staples Center tonight. We were about to face the Phoenix Coyotes, who have been playing their own good hockey so far this season, and they've always been a tough team to beat for us, especially here in LA.

We did have a couple of things working against us tonight. The first was a hard fought win last night against the Conference leading Sharks in San Jose. The game went to overtime before we put it away, and it was an emotional win for the entire team. Forwards Teddy Purcell, Anze Kopitar, and Dustin Brown finally ended their scoring droughts, and Drew had a simply AMAZING night with a goal, an assist and the honor of #1 Star of the Night. As incredible as it all was it took a lot of energy, and I had visions of our letdown after a superb win against the Pittsburgh Penguins back in November where we basically didn't show up at the next game. On top of that, the Coyotes are a division and conference rival, and have always given us a tough time no matter how good or bad they're playing as a team. Needless to say, there was a lot at stake tonight.

It certainly took a while, and the game was far from what I'd call solid, but the "right" Kings squad showed up tonight and we got the win. It took 8 rounds of shoot-out play, and Drew scored a beauty in round 7, then Justin Williams finished it off and we finally got to celebrate. In addition, the Kings became the first team in the Western Conference to reach 20 wins, and we're only 1 point away from both San Jose and Washington for most points in the NHL. Who would have thunk it! I LOVE THIS TEAM!

And because many good things in my hockey world tonight involved the number 8, my "Opposing Team Hottie of the Night" is the Coyotes #8 - Right Winger Scottie Upshall. Why is it all the hot NHL men wear #8? I don't know, but I love it!



Now it's time for the boys (and me) to rest up for our next game on Saturday night against the Dallas Stars. GO KINGS GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment