Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Historic Moment

The inauguration of our nation's 44th president rightfully dominated the landscape today. I could hardly talk to anyone, watch TV, listen to the radio, or read anything printed or electronic without considering the social and historic impact of that president being the first black male to hold the post powerful elected position in our country. And as I continued to ponder this monumental event as the day went on, a couple of thoughts occurred to me.

The first thought I had is, "Why is inauguration day not a national holiday?" Granted, it doesn't happen every year, but it's certainly more important than some of the holidays we celebrate. Then, I thought it should actually go beyond a national holiday -- it should be a total national work stoppage day so every American can watch the entire event. I actually missed the live version of the excitement since I was teaching a class today. But that wouldn't work, since it probably takes thousands of people working to make the entire event happen. Really, what would an inauguration ball be without bartenders?

The second thought I had was a more profound one. I realized this inauguration is the first truly history altering event MY generation has been actively involved in making happen. Even though many historic events have happened since I was born - the Vietnam War, the civil rights movement, or man walking on the moon, for example - those events happened because of the actions of my parents generation. For all the apathy and immaturity we've demonstrated in other situations, this time we got it right. We own this one.

Now it's time to work together on the next piece of history. I'm ready. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment